Atlantic 49 Catamaran
About this Boat
Wabi Sabi is a third generation Chris White designed Alantic 49 Mastfoil catamaran. The Mastfoils have the advantage of being easily managed by a single person. The foils are steered to optimum angle of attack by Jeffa electric motors. To compliment the foils there are two electric furling jibs on carbon fiber self tacking booms. In addition there is a bowsprit with a single line furler and a screacher that can be set or stowed easily.
The forward cockpit provides excellent visibility, ease of all sailing functions, visibility to deploy or haul the anchor , and safety.
When conditions warrant retreat to the inside pilothouse.
Wabi Sabi is constructed of vacuum bagged Epoxy-Vinyl ester resin high performance glass laminate cored with PVC foam. Carbon fiber is used in all the high load areas and Kevlar is used strategically to improve resistance to penetration. The aft hardtop is carbon fiber over foam. The hull is fared and finished with Alexseal lineal polyurethane, the hull is Kingston Grey and the topsides are Matterhorn White with a Safety orange bootstripe. The bottom features fixed keels built from glass over solid foam and attached to a finished hull. They can support the weight of the boat and protect the propellers and rudders.
All forward and side windows in the salon have 3M Ceramic film for heat and Ultraviolet Light reduction and also have Dometic Oceanaire reflective blinds.
The owners of this Atlantic 49' had the yacht custom built at the Alwoplast yard In Valdivia, Chile. They had previously built a 47' Atlantic which they cruised for four years, and with that experience they incorporated many important improvements; not the least of which is the Atlantic 49' has three ensuite double berth staterooms and a very spacious forward cockpit. The starboard hull has a large lazarette aft designed for mounting a generator if desired.
Alwoplast was founded in 1987 as a Chilean company under German management and located in Valdivia, Chile right at the entrance to the “roaring forties”. Their objective is to produce the finest custom built multihull, delivering exceptional performance, robust durability, lower maintenance and superior standards of finish and fit.
The new Atlantic 49-MastFoil offers exciting improvements over her earlier and smaller A47 sister. An expanded pilot house with innovative galley up/galley down configuration, bar incorporated, improved and bigger aft cockpit with a solid hardtop, loaded with solar modules and a big port aft cabin. Traditional shaft engines and the revolutionary mast foils now with electric controls.
The A49 is a great performer, combining the sparkling sailing, great cruising livability and ease of handling that the Atlantic Cats are known for.
DESIGNER; CHRIS WHITE DESIGNS
Chris White Designs specializes in the design of high performance cruising catamarans and trimarans. Each boat is designed and engineered to exacting standards of performance capability, structural integrity, ease of handling for a small crew, and comfort underway.
Chris White Designs was founded in 1983 and has consistently specialized in the design of high performance cruising catamarans and trimarans. Chris’ work is innovative within a framework of proved yacht design principles and sound structural engineering. The forward cockpit/pilothouse layout of the Atlantic series catamarans, and the patented MastFoil rig are two examples. Each boat is designed and engineered to exacting standards of performance capability, structural integrity, ease of handling for a small crew, and comfort underway.
- Designer: Chris White Designs
- Keel: Full Keel
- LOA: 49 ft
- Beam: 24.25 ft
- Maximum Draft:
- Maximum Displacement:
- Dry Weight: 20,000 lb
- Fusion molded jib sails from Ulman (430 sq.ft and 420 sq. ft)
- Laminate Code Zero ( screacher ) on Facnor single line furler with added UV cover and Velcro closure (1200sq.ft)
- Total Area of 2050 sq. ft. of sail area on furled sails.
- Symmetrical spinnaker with dousing sock.
- Mastfoils have @ 140 sq. ft. of "sail area" each; total 280 sq. ft. In 25kts of wind vessel has a speed of 7.5 kts with mastfoils alone; no sails.
The patented Chris White Designs MastFoil™ is a unique combination of modern rigid airfoil technology with proven soft sails. MastFoil is a small part of the overall sail plan and can rotate 360 degrees around the load bearing mast. This allows it to be feathered on any point of sail and in any wind velocity. Left alone, the foil will continuously feather if the control is set in that mode. Another important feature is that the foil does not carry any of the mast compression loads. This enables the foil to be lightweight, structurally simple and to rotate easily around the mast.
- The soft sails can be reefed and furled on any point of sail and in any wind velocity. Anyone can safely handle this rig.
- Simple and quick self-tacking.
- Super safe and effortless gybing.
- The MastFoils add considerable drive to the sail plan despite their modest size. In stronger winds the MastFoils alone will provide enough power to sail in any direction.
- The MastFoils are excellent storm sails. They create powerful drive, but minimal heeling forces because of their size and aspect ratio. The MastFoils are quiet, never flog, have very low "sheet" loads, and they can be trimmed for efficient operation in any wind direction.
- The MastFoils can be easily feathered into the wind on any point of sail which makes them nearly "invisible" to the wind.
- The MastFoils generate much less aerodynamic windage (drag) than conventional mast and rigging, which translates to less strain on the anchor, thereby reducing the risk of dragging. The MastFoil rig will reduce the wind drag at anchor by approximately 20%.
- The dramatically simplified mast and rigging improves reliability. A MastFoil mast has less than one quarter of the number of load bearing parts of a conventional mast. Fewer parts mean fewer possible points of failure and consequently less risk of mast failure.
- Extraordinary downwind performance. The MastFoil can be trimmed to avoid stall on any heading. In combination with soft sails, including any type of gennaker or spinnaker, the Atlantic 49 is quite fast and easy to control downwind.
- Great upwind performance. Tests indicate the MastFoil will be at least equal to a standard catamaran rig sailing upwind.
- No anchor bridle required. Anyone who has owned a ketch knows how well behaved they are at anchor with a partial mizzen sheeted flat amidships. The Atlantic 49 will do essentially the same with the aft MastFoil locked on center and the forward MastFoil allowed to rotate.
The MastFoil rig is exclusive to Chris White Designs, and MastFoil™ is covered by Patent# 8919272 and Patent# 9114863.Masts and Booms
Double tapered carbon fiber mast, each fitted with lightweight composite Mastfoils with counterweights incorporated. Masts are deck stepped with Kevlar K-49 shrouds.
Carbon fiber self tacking jib booms.Engines
- Beta Marine 43 HP 250 hrs ea. with digital control panels
- ZF Microcommander controls in pilothouse and forward cockpit with remote connection on aft bulkhead of cockpit.
- Factory fitted with API high output alternators 28 V 180 amp
- Conventional shaft drives driven through an Aquadrive system, CV shaft, soft mounts, and thrust bearing.
- Flexofold three blade folding propellers
- KTI filter boss system with dual racor filters, pressure alarms, and electric fuel pump polishing capability.
- Furuno 15 inch TZTL MFD in pilothouse
- Furuno 12 inch TZTL MFD in cockpit
- Dual Furuno Autopilots with the Port unit completely independent the Starboard unit on the network
- Furuno AIS FA50
- Furuno radar DRS4D
- Furuno Sounder digital Black box BBDS1 w525TID –BHD transducer
- 2ea Furuno Display 170 for cockpit wind, depth speed data
- Airmar Ultrasonic weatherstation wind instrument
- Aegian WiFi booster
- Fusion MS-UD750 Stereo
- Icom IC M504 VHF radio
- Irridium Pilot Satellite communication system with main antennae located in the port forward compartment, with optimizer and handset.
- 120V main switch panel
- 2 ea. Victron 3KW MultiPlus inverter / chargers
- Victron Color Moniter
- Shore power 125/250 V shore power with connections in front and rear cockpits
- 2 ea Dometic turbo series 16K BTU AC units with soft starts
- Splendide washer dryer combo unit
- Isotemp 40 liter dual function water heater (120V or engine heat exchanger)
The 49’ Atlantic Catamaran is designed to be fully operational underway without relying on a generator; the batteries and inverters will handle all the A/C loads including air conditioning.
The house batteries are 2 x 300 amp hour at 24V. Lithionics LiPo4
There are 2 x 3000 amp Victron inverter/ chargers that share house loads so everything can be run from the battery bank. To charge the batteries the vessel has 2 kw of solar which can top off the system in the day.
Both engines have 200 amp x 24 V alternators so they can really recharge the house bank quickly.
In real hot environments it is not uncommon to idle an engine overnight when running the refrigeration and wanting AC all night.
The engines are on soft mounts with the aqua drive systems and don’t use much fuel at 1000 rpm
- FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND EXTERNAL LINKS TO EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTIONS PLEASE CONTACT BROKER
12 panels totaling 2KW Solara flexible walkable solar panels
6 Victron MPPT controllers
24 V Circuit breaker panel with Victron battery monitor
House Battery bank Lithionics 2ea. 300 amp hr x 24 V OPE-Li3 with two dual channel BMS
2 Lithiom Ion engine start batteries
1 Li FePo 12 V communications battery
6 24V bilge pumps
24 V Spectra Catalina water maker 13-14 gal/hr
Intellian satellite antenna with direct TV and Samsung 32 inch TV in salon
Mastfoil rotation control is via 2 ea. Jeffa 24 V geared autopilot motors
Lewmar V3 24V windlass with controls in pilothouse, forward cockpit and local to the unit.Galley Equipment
- 2 ea. Vitrifrigio drawer type fridge freezer units
- 1 ea Force 10, 3 burner propane stove
- Dometic exhaust fan
- Granicoat countertops foam cored
- 2 x 90 gal Diesel
- 1 x 85 gal freshwater tank
- 1 x 48 gal wastewater
- 1 x 20 gal wastewater serves aft lav
- Rocna 55 lb primary anchor with 75 ft of 3/8 chain and 150 ft. of 5/8 8 plait rode
- Fortress FX37 secondary with 20 ft. of 3/8 chain and 150 ft 5/8 8 plait rode
There are Three Ensuite Staterooms on "Wabi Sabi". Amidship in both port and starboard hulls are "Island Style" queen berths which allow for the occupants to get in or out from either side. (Nobody is climbing over another person). All three staterooms have adjacent private heads and showers.The third stateroom is located in the port hull aft and features a double berth. There are Frioli Springs Supporting each mattress.
There are hatches in the overhead in each stateroom and all have Oceanaire screens and shades. Reading lights throughout.Heads
- 2 ea Dometic 8116 freshwater flush in forward queen heads
- 1 ea Lavac manual saltwater head in aft queen stateroom
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
This listing is courtesy of the BoatWizard MLS and may be centrally listed with another broker. It is offered as a convenience by this broker/dealer to its clients and is not intended to convey representation of a particular vessel.